Site icon UK Aviation News

Heathrow Airport gains Carbon Neutral Status

Heathrow Airport

Heathrow Airport

Heathrow Airport (LHR/EGLL) has announced that it has gained Carbon Neutral status for its infrastructure.

The UK’s busiest airport has also become the first major airport in the world to target zero carbon by 2030.

The airport has invested £100 million in projects which improve the efficiency of energy use as well as sourcing renewable energy from suppliers.

Overall this has led to a reduction of carbon emissions from the airport buildings and infrastructure by 93% compared to 1990. Heathrow will offset the remaining 7% of airport infrastructure emissions through tree planting projects in Indonesia and Mexico certified through the Verified Carbon Standard.

Heathrow Airport

Heathrow Chief Executive John Holland-Kaye, said: “Making our infrastructure entirely carbon neutral is a significant milestone and a testament to the determination of our airport to help spearhead a new era of sustainable aviation. Our sights are now set on working with the global aviation industry to deliver on net-zero by 2050, at the latest. We can and will cut the environmental cost of flying whilst keeping the benefits of travel for future generations.”

The announcement comes as Heathrow Airport announced a further investment of £1.8 million for 2020 to kick-start UK nature-based carbon-saving projects to help to kick-start the restoration of natural UK carbon sinks.

BEA Airbus A319 G-EUPJ gets marshalled into position at Heathrow (Image: Jamie Woodhouse-Wright/Aviation Media Agency)

These include peatlands, woodlands and farming soils which could save 43 megatonnes of carbon annually by 2050 if significant investments are made.

Heathrow Airport says that it can’t create this saving alone though, and will use its position to encourage others within the aviation industry to invest in these types of initiatives across the UK.

The UK Aviation Industry as a whole has committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.

Exit mobile version